Nieuwe chat! Zie dit topic.

Vanavond 18:30: debat wijziging Transgenderwet

Nieuwsberichten
Irene_de_Vreede
Voornaamwoorden: Zij/haar

Re: Vanavond 18:30: debat wijziging Transgenderwet

Bericht door Irene_de_Vreede »

Die man loopt van de ene blunder naar de andere. Ik heb zelden een minister gezien die binnen een paar dagen al laat zien niet geschikt te zijn, maar misschien ben ik gewoon een optimistisch mens.
Irene
San(ne)
Voornaamwoorden: Die/diens

Bericht door San(ne) »

Och is het er zo een. Nou, dan gaat ie vast vriendjes worden met de radicale boeren. Dat schijnt tegenwoordig een soort kant-en-klaar pakket te zijn van alle rechtse standpunten bij elkaar: tegen stikstofbeleid, tegen LGBTQ, tegen vaccineren etc.
FlevoSaskia
Voornaamwoorden: Haar/zij

Bericht door FlevoSaskia »

I wish I could fully understand this thread and the Dutch politics relating to transgender people. What is the law here??.

Back when I first started on the transition road in the UK in the 1980s, you could legally change your name but you could never get your birth certificate changed. If I remember correctly you could get your passport changed providing you could prove you had gender reassignment surgery (a letter from the surgeon who performed GRS was sufficient). Then after a few years and a lot of lobbying of the government they allowed us to get a replacement birth certificate. I was one of the first to apply. I was worried they would change the law back. After a month or so the new correct birth certificate arrived and I was so happy. Now everything was in order.

I don’t what the laws are now in the UK and if they allow different gender markings on the passport or birth certificate. Here in NL do they let you change these documents easily?
_sanne_
Voornaamwoorden: zij/haar

Bericht door _sanne_ »

In the UK they have the Gender Recognition Act now. SRS is no longer required and it’s based on self identification and self determination. It’s what the Transgenderwet aims to accomplish for the Netherlands.

In the Netherlands, before 2014 (AFAIK) you could only change your birth certificate if you had a judge order the state to do so. This was based on the premise that there had been a mistake in determining your sex at birth. In 2014 a new law was introduced, the current one. It makes it possible to have your birth certificate changed provided you can prove your gender identity is what you say it is. SRS is not required, but a specially trained care provider (special BIG Registration) has to declare you fit to make the decision and has to declare that you identifying as the opposite gender is “duurzaam” (ie, you won’t change your mind). The municipality you were born in has to change your certificate.

The new Trasngenderwet aims to simplify things by removing the requirement for the “deskundigenverklaring” and making it possible to have this changed in the municipality you live in.

There was an amendment to add the possibility of having ‘x’ as a gender marker but that’s been deemed a bridge too far. Another amendment, making it easier for minors to have this change (which their legal guardians have to apply for) probably isn’t going to make it either.
And with parties confusing a gender marker with sexual assault I’m wondering if we’ll ever be allowed to, you know, decide anything for ourselves without being gatekept into oblivion. There will be an additional debate in December. 🤞

(I say “we” but I live on Curaçao. My government doesn’t even feel comfortable admitting we exist, let alone make sure there’s adequate legislation)
FlevoSaskia
Voornaamwoorden: Haar/zij

Bericht door FlevoSaskia »

Thanks Sanne for the explanation. Now I understand. I never thought in my lifetime that they would change the law to allow us a corrected birth certificate. They always stated that it couldn’t be done unless you were incorrectly assigned at birth. I haven’t had to show my BC many times here but very glad it was corrected as it would’ve been very embarrassing.
Good luck and hope the Dutch folks get what they want.